~ Healthy Recipe ~
Carrot cake is my Dad’s favourite.. so this recipe was created for him!
In fact, my first recipe for this cake was created when I was living in London and to make it super special, it was my first ever recipe featured in a magazine! I had a two page spread, I wrote the article and shared my own photos and recipe.
This was about 5 years ago now… so my beliefs and skills have developed a great deal since then (hello growth!) and although I was proud of the recipe, I thought it was time for an upgrade
So here we have it… my updated carrot cake! There’s less ingredients and less complicated instructions but it still tastes just as good!
Fun Fact – Carrots contain a substance called Carotenoids (ie. β-Carotene) which can be stored in our fat and then converted to Vitamin A when our body needs it.
The human body is so awesome right?
Note: For allergies & intolerances this carrot cake is free from dairy, lactose, wheat and peanuts.
Want to save & print the recipe for later?
Healthy Carrot Cake
- Prep time: 15 - 20 minutes
- Cook time: 30 – 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
- Serves: 8
- 1 cup almond meal/flour
- 1 cup oats blended into a flour
- 1.5 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups (approximately 2 - 3) grated carrot
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup chopped dried dates
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Pre-heat oven to 180˚C
- Combine almond meal, oat flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder in a bowl.
- In another bowl combine and mix together carrot, eggs, oil, vanilla essence and honey.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, add the chopped dates and walnuts and mix well to combine.
- Pour into lined/greased 20cm round cake tin and cook for 30 – 40 minutes. Allow to cool then top with Creamy Cashew Icing.
Creamy Cashew Icing
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 2 - 3 tablespoons milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 pitted dried dates
- Blend cashews into a flour. Add all other ingredients and blend until well combined.
- Spread onto cake and if desired, top with a few chopped walnuts.